Foreign Domestic Worker EligibilityUnited Channel
A foreign domestic helper (FDW) needs to meet age, nationality and education requirements to get a Work Permit. The permit enables the FDW to legally work as a maid in Singapore.
Who is eligible
The foreign domestic worker you hire, either directly or through a maid agency in Singapore, needs to meet these requirements:
|From 23 to 50 years old at the time of application.|
|From an approved source country or territory, including Bangladesh, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand.|
|Minimum 8 years of formal education with a recognised certificate.|
In addition, the FDW has to:
- Be employed at your home address as stated on your NRIC.
- Attend the Settling-In Programme if she is a first-time FDW.
- Not be in Singapore during the application for the Work Permit. She should only arrive after you receive the in-principle approval and buy a $5,000 security bond.
Note: This does not apply to Malaysian domestic workers.
Criteria for first-time FDWs
A first-time domestic helper is one who has never worked in Singapore as an FDW before. This includes an FDW who:
- Doesn’t have an FDW employment record with MOM’s Work Pass Division.
- Has Work Permit records with MOM but did not collect her Work Permit card, or collected the card but did not eventually work in Singapore.